Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Seven Weeks And Counting

These posts are turning out monthly, which is fine, I suppose. It's May now, and the rainy season has already taunted us with one nighttime downpour. Soon, soon.

On Monday I met with the director, teachers, people from the parents' association, and many of the "best" students at the high school in Balgüe to present more formally our project of installing Internet access there, and ask for their help. I think most of them still don't have much of an idea what Internet access means, although a few who did spoke expansively on what this could mean to their community. I hate running meetings where I have to spend too much of my brain power understanding what people are saying and why. I was therefore greatful to Kari and Dorita from the BOSIA office in Altagracia for their help.

Our goals were and are to ensure that the equipment is used productively, equitably, and sustainably by the students and faculty of the school. To that end, we are going to work with the director to draw up some guidelines for use of the systems. We've also formed a committee including students and teachers that will guide the process. These will be the first to receive training from me, in exchange for looking after the systems and teaching others. I have a distinct feeling once again of flying by the seat of my pants, but I think this will be OK until we can get some more formal systems of support and teaching going (soon? I hope).

I have about seven weeks left on the island, and it'll be just barely enough to get this going here and at the high school in Altagracia.

And that's about all you get tonight. I'm sleepy. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home